Cold Brew Coffee
What is Cold Brew Coffee
In case you haven’t heard about cold brew, it is coffee made with ground coffee beans, steeped in cold water, distinguished with its rich velvety taste. The cold freshness of the cold brew coffee makes it the perfect refreshment choice for hot summer days.
The history of cold brew coffee is quite interesting and goes way back, more specifically to the 17th century. There are different theories to who are its originators. According to some sources, the first evidence of cold brew coffee comes from Japan during the 1600s. However, other records point that cold brew coffee may have originated from the traveling Dutch traders who used it during their cruises for a way to preserve coffee and they spread their tradition to the Japanese.
- Coarse ground beans (100 grams/10 tablespoons)
- Cold filtered water (1 liter/ 34 ounces)
- According to your taste you can add milk, ice, sugar, lemon juice or syrup
The ratio between coffee beans and water depends on personal taste.
The most important component for achieving high quality cold brew is the beans you use so they need to be carefully chosen.
Step 1: The coffee beans are ground to the point they reach a texture similar to cornmeal or breadcrumbs.
Step 2: Then, coffee beans are left in water to steep for about 12-24 hours. The amount of time you leave the coffee to steep depends according to taste.
Step 3: This process leads to a concentrated coffee essence.
Step 4: The produced coffee essence is then diluted with water and served cold.
Step 5: Enjoy the cold caffeine freshness.
Did you know
- Cold brew can be very strong and high in caffeine and is not recommended to be drunk straight away, without dilution.
- Cold brew coffee and iced coffee are not the same thing. Iced coffee is brewed hot and served cold, while cold brew coffee is brewed cold and their taste is quite different too.
- If you leave it for more than 24 hours it will start to have a more bitter and heavy taste.
- It has 67% less acidity than hot brewed coffee.
- Cold brew coffee is more mellow and sweet with rich velvety taste.
- It releases nice fruity and floral aromas.
- Cold brew lasts up to 10 days when refrigerated but it is recommended to be consumed within 7 days.
We recommend De’Longhi Clessidra to achieve the best cold brew coffee results.